German dictionary?

Feb 23, 2014 at 2:10 AM
Hi there,
are ppl from germany reading here and can provide some information, if it is (or should be) possible to have this neat program for german grammar/language?

I'm willing to spend some time, but I'm not a programmer, nor have the tools to program, beside notepad++ editor and XML-Tools for creating a usable dictionary.

But as far as I could see, the XML won't cover the grammar for the german language,
i.e. 3 articles for female/male/neuter. And maybe more differences I suspect, like syntax/sentence structure.

Did anybody here read the source code and could tell, what time/work it could take to change the code to work with german language?

Cheers!
Coordinator
Feb 24, 2014 at 9:41 AM
Sorry, but I suspect it will be difficult to implement this in German. I had high hopes for multiple languages at the start of the project, but there are plenty of English assumptions in the code (as you've noticed the lack of gender; I'm sure that will cause problems for French speakers too). And, mostly, I just don't have time at the moment to make serious changes to the code. Sorry.

If you want to figure out some of the obvious issues so you can let me know it's really not that hard (that's me being very very hopeful!), try by making a very small German dictionary using the existing XML structure (10-20 of each part of speech). Then play around with a "Custom" phrase strength where you'll need to write your own phrase structure - this is where you define your grammar.

Make a list of all the ways its broken and send me the bad news.

Murray
Sep 6, 2015 at 5:18 PM
I know_ this is an old thread, but it occurred to me if one wanted article agreement, one could enter the nouns complete with article, e.g., "das Boot", " ihre Tafel" "la Gare" or "seinem Tisch", usw. This maintains grammatical combinations, but doesn't add much entropy
Coordinator
Sep 7, 2015 at 1:15 AM
Combinations of article only add two or three bits of entropy (and that's being generous with 'this', 'that', 'the', 'a'), so you're certainly welcome to try that approach.

Not sure if German has gender, but Readable Passphrase has no notion of it. Which may lead to grammatical incorrectness.