Working with Password Validation?

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:40 PM
Hi there. I like your plugin, it is very useful and I like the readability of the generated pass phrases.

My main issue with this type of password is that many sites have requirements on the use of classes of characters (numerals, special characters, upper case letters, etc.).

I saw that you recently added support for numbers in passwords. Can you add an option which would require a number as part of a pass phrase?

Similarly, can you add an option to replace spaces with another character (could be hyphen, underscore, or even user specified) which would increase readability and increase compatibility with certain validation requirements?

Thanks for creating this plugin!
Coordinator
Apr 3, 2014 at 9:39 AM
Thanks, I enjoyed creating it!

I won't add support for meeting particular password requirements, they're too varied to come up with enough options to meet them all. (Actually, the real reason is: I'm lazy and can't be bothered!!).

But, there are a couple of easy ways to meet your requirements if you modify the passphrase generated. Once you're happy to modify the passphrase, you can meet any site's requirements you want.
  1. Replacing one or more spaces with hyphans, underscores, equals signs, numbers, etc as you've already said.
  2. Add numbers / symbols at the end or start of the phrase. Or after a word.
  3. Capitalise a letter or two at random. Or maybe capitalise all of a particular letter, eg all "T"s.
One of my passphrases for my employer's system has a capital letter on a random word and ends in "$1". Which covers off its complexity requirements. And, because you're only adding to the complexity of the phrase, it really doesn't matter that its a simple suffix. Of course, if you want to come up with a more complex transformation if you want, but the more special characters the harder it is to remember the phrase.

Hope that helps
Apr 3, 2014 at 1:41 PM
Thanks again for your work on creating this and on your responses below. Cheers!

- Matt Jung