This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Add numbers and punctuation?

Apr 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Would be nice to have passwords like:

10 Red Elephants!
Climb 873 purple walls?

Also, it's cool that the passwords are so grammatically correct, but I wonder if it's necessary (or actually less secure). Something like: Battery? green 98 table would be fine with me
Coordinator
May 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Hey mx464,

Putting numbers in like that is a pretty neat idea! And easy for me to implement too. I'll keep it in mind over the next release or two.

There are plenty of alternatives out there for non-grammatical passphrases, so I'm not going to lose sleep if you use something else (like choosing words from a dictionary (and probably a shell script to choose for you) or diceware or even parsing the XML of the dictionary I've put together. But I'm not that interested in making a KeePass plugin for this because it will basically boil down to a big text file and a random number generator.

I've done a bit of research into how less secure the grammar makes passphrases: and it can be pretty substantial in some cases. That's why the really secure passphrases I generate are insanely long: they need to be to have enough combinations.
Coordinator
May 6, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Actually, I've changed my mind on the non-grammatical passphrases.

It's pretty trivial to implement. And useful to compare number of combinations of totally random vs grammatical.

It will only be available in the command line version, but the next release will have a --nongrammar option you may be interested in!